Sunday, March 25, 2012

A Purity Lesson From The Author Of Romance, Part 2

If you haven't read part 1, you can find it here.




One night, after collapsing into my comfy purple recliner in my bedroom, I began to think about the things that had been happening. I noticed for the first time that God was speaking to me. Not through a powerful steady voice, but through other people, circumstances, and a restless spirit. I realized Jesus was calling me to have a different kind of romance, to live a different kind of life, to be able to offer a priceless purity to my future husband without any baggage.

I remembered the verse from the popular Proverbs 31, "she brings him good, not harm, all the days of her life." All the days meaning every single day. Every single day meaning.....


Now.


Then I actually realized, for the first time, that I have someone out there that God specifically designed for me. A real actual person, alive right now. For the first time in my life, I prayed for this guy. The thought of him actually being out there made me want to honor him even more. People usually only think of you as only being "taken" or "unavailable" when you're in a relationship, but Jesus showed me that technically my heart belonged to the person He had picked out for me from day one...unless I gave pieces of my heart to someone or something else. The purity right that I wear on my left ring finger every single day of my life suddenly took on a whole new meaning.


That same night I had a dream about my future husband. God revealed many valuable things to me in that dream, and in a way it was like the icing on the cake. Then I really knew that all this stuff lining up perfectly was no coincidence. He wanted me to live my single years set apart for my soul mate, focusing my eyes on Himself rather than flirting and getting mixed up in oceans of emotions. 


The word "courtship" came to my mind. Is that what God wanted for me?


Dating or courtship....whatever you choose to call it, I don't think there is a specific word God prefers. "Dating" is a hugely controversial word, and my beliefs tend to match up more on the side of courtship. My sister is in a relationship, though, and finds it easier to use the word dating, and I don't think there is anything wrong with that. I suppose I'll cross that bridge when I get there.


What God revealed to me through this process was way more important that tirelessly trying to figure out what to call "it". He showed me that purity is so, sooo much more than saving sex for marriage. It's a lifestyle, a lifestyle of honoring Jesus and my future husband with my thoughts and interactions with other guys. 


And when that day comes and my love story begins, I will thank God for gently showing me His idea of purity. But until then I will enjoy every moment of intimacy with my First Love, the One who died to save me, the Ultimate Gentleman, the One whose love is unshakable and undeniable.


The One whose love alone will always, always be enough for me. 

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Lindsey! Sooo wise. I don't even have words, except, I am really proud of you, and it brings tears to my eyes :) May God continue to bless you!!!

    ReplyDelete